"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Monday, December 22, 2008

What's in a name?

Picking out a baby name isn't as easy as I thought. We had a name picked out (Davin Peter) but just saying it didn't feel right. I don't feel like I'm carrying a Davin. I'm always anxious to get a name picked out, either due to my impatience or because I think people who wait till AFTER the baby's born to name it are weird. No offense to them. Just my opinion. So, at our family council yesterday, M and I were trying to come up with something better. Of course we were searching his Star Wars Encyclopedia (see previous post) but I really felt the name we needed wasn't in there. Not that it wasn't a Star Wars name, it just wasn't in the book we were looking at. We found nothing. I still needed a name, so I kept thinking about it. Then, last night, M was laying there very quiet... I thought he was trying to go to sleep. Then he suggested a name... my first reaction was "he'll get made fun of". But as I mulled it around in my head, it sounded better and better. Then I prayed about it (yes, I pray about names). It was indeed the right name. It is a Star Wars name, and was NOT in the book we were looking at... the middle name we came up with was actually something my daughter suggested, not a family name (that we know of) and it felt right, too. So, here it is:

Quinlan Thomas Hamblin - we'll call him Quin for short.

I looked up the meaning of the name online this morning and Quinlan is Irish/Gaelic and means fit, shapely, strong. Quin means counsel. Exactly what I was looking for! I felt I needed a name that was strong and would be the name of a leader. (I feel a special spirit growing inside me - very intimidating!) So, there it is. For sure this time. :)

4 comments:

Druciana said...

I like it! I pray about names too. I think that is why it took so long for us to find the perfect middle name for Noel.

Roo said...

I like it! And N did a good job with the middle name.

Cortney said...

I like it!!

Messy Jess said...

I love it!