"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Monday, December 15, 2008

Now for the waiting game

I went to the hospital bright and early this morning for a fasting 3 hour glucose test. For those of you wondering how that works, this is how:

One isn't supposed to eat after 8pm the night before (in my case, with all the church things going on yesterday starting at 5pm, I ate last at 4:30pm) (so, yeah, I was hungry) (to say the least). Then, one goes into their doctor or lab at the hospital the next morning (completing roughly a 12 hour fast) where they draw one's blood.
Then they get to drink about 8 oz. of a less carbonated, much more high fructose corn sypup-enated soda-like-beverage that when cold, is supposed to taste OK. Whoever decided that either never drank the stuff or wasn't pregnant with an empty stomach. Bleh. Oh, and you have to drink the stuff in less than five minutes. The nurse watches the clock and everything. No pressure.
Then, they draw your blood again, an hour after the first blood draw. I'm glad the laboratory waiting room had cable TV and a comfy couch.
Then, they draw your blood AGAIN an hour after that.
And an hour after that, guess what they do? They draw your blood AGAIN. (4 times total over a 3 hour period... all without FOOD and some yucky bleck stuff sitting like a rock in your stomach)
All of this just to see if I have diabetes. Don't diabetics generally do poorly if their blood sugar drops from not eating or spikes from, say, drinking some nasty sugary syrupy goo?? Maybe that's why they didn't want me to leave.....
So, this was my morning. I'm eating right now (duh) and loving it.

I should find out the results this afternoon. I hope. *fingers crossed*arms folded*knees bent*

No comments: