
I'm a resolution person, always have been. One year (many, many moons ago) I was so determined to accomplish my yearly goals that I made my resolution, signed it, then had the thing laminated. And I STILL didn't accomplish my goals for the year. I've been giving it some thought as to what I wanted to accomplish this year... and only one thing comes to mind, but it's not something I only just thought of, it's something I've already been working on and will continue to work on when this new year passes. It doesn't have to do with my weight (for once) or anything physical, for that matter. It has to do with my spiritual development - which will, in turn, affect the rest of me. I came across something in someone else's blog, I hope she doesn't mind me reposting it. It was just so inspiring and made me think much more clearly, that I've even written it in my journal. This is it:
"This year, I find myself thinking more about what I AM rather than what I WANT... And I know that when the end of the year arrives... it is more likely that I will want to craft a written statement that explains my world view at this time in my life... rather than write a list of things I want/should be working on. I guess I just feel like I KNOW what I should be working on, and every day I try to get a little closer... without needing to declare it in a brash, year-end promise." (italics added for the parts that really struck me)
I've come across several people this year who've seemed to lose their way, even after knowing where they were going for so long. I've come across people who claim they're "trying to find themselves" and therefore use that as an excuse to do things they normally wouldn't. This breaks my heart as I'm very close to a lot of these people. I turned 30 this year, so did a lot of my friends. A lot of them had a hard time with this. I didn't. I'm not trying to brag or say that this is a great accomplishment on my end. I'm only trying to say that I'm so incredibly grateful for the knowledge of WHO I AM. I chose this life. I chose to be a mother instead of a career woman. I chose the man I married. I chose to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I still choose it. This is me, this is who I am. And I'm proud of that. I don't need to set unobtainable goals every year in order to have self-fulfillment. I can do it every day by choosing happiness and realizing the things in this life that will TRULY make me happy, not just here on this earth, but in the eternities to come. I love my life and will always strive to reach my potential, but won't wait till another new year arrives to do so. I had to say this publicly, as it means a lot to me. I hope everyone has had a great 2008 and embraces 2009.
1 comment:
That is why I like you so much! Down to earth and very real. You going to stay up all night?
Post a Comment