N sporting some of her new make-up. Look out boys!
Here's one of the kids reading Santa's note:
My favorite author, Richard Paul Evans, has a little book I found on a discount table once upon a time entitled "The First Gift of Christmas". It talks about the four "seasons" of Christmas - The Advent, The Eve, The Morning, The Night. I don't want to drag on this entry, but I really want to put in an exert from this book. I read it every year and am so grateful I have it. Here it is (well worth the read):
The Fourth Season of Christmas: The Night.
Christmas Night.
As the evening falls
like the curtain on a
long-awaited show,
I hold my daughter,
just one last time
this season,
In the warm bath of the
Christmas-tree lights.
And I wonder.
Did the Yuletide parties
and gatherings fill her
with a sense of family?
Did the Christmas rituals
unite her in a shared
commonality with
her fellowmen?
Did the music of Christmas
heal her of a cynical world
and inspire her with hopes
of something greater?
Did the gifts she shared
teach her that the greatest gifts
are received in the giving?
Did the once-wrapped
presents of Christmas remind
her of a greater gift given
many Christmases ago?
And I wonder.
Is there enough awe
in my child,
enough magic left,
to save a world?
For within my heart
I lament a great truth -
That the only
promise of childhood
is that it will end.
And I wonder what
I have given her
to take its place.
And is it enough?
I can't even type this without getting all teary-eyed. This year, like every year, I'm so sad to see Christmas end. I'm never satisfied that it was good enough to let it go for another year. I've been thinking about this a lot these last few days and have come to a conclusion: I depend too greatly on the commercialness of the Christmas season to fulfill my experience of the holiday. It's not enough. I know the true meaning of Christmas and value it greatly, but I never do anything about it. I try to teach my children the meaning of it all and that giving is better than getting, but I never do anything to really teach them this. Every year is filled with threats of Santa's watching and stop that or you lose a present... what does this teach my kids?? I've written this down in my journal and will remember to do better for next year.
I hope all had a wonderful holiday and that it was everything you hoped it would be!



1 comment:
I super duper love that author.
What a sweet Christmas.
Post a Comment