"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I am overwhelmed with gratitude today...


I'm grateful for how grumpy I've been!

Actually, grumpy doesn't even cover it, but I'm grateful nonetheless.

Ok, so I'm not actually THANKFUL for the grumpiness, but if that's the only thing that's been bothering me lately, I'm good. So, maybe I should rephrase that - I'm grateful for a healthy, normal pregnancy. I had a doctor's appointment this morning (no ultra sound, dang it) and while I was in the waiting room, I overheard the receptionist on the phone with another patient complaining about pain... her liver was enlarged. I know this pain. This is the pain that sent me to the E.R. a week before N was born. I was in Washington, visiting, actually about to leave for home that day. After a week of pain and tests, they figured out that I had pre-eclampsia with HELLP syndrome. (Wikipedia could explain all of this...) My blood pressure was through the roof, my urine had so much protein in it that it couldn't even be measured, my brain was swelling - causing me to be unconscious through most of this, my platelet (blood clotters) count was scary low (they had to give me 10 transfusions of platelets during the surgery just so I wouldn't bleed to death), my enlarged liver meant it could rupture at any minute - also causing me to bleed to death, and all the while I could go into seizure. SO, things were intense, to say the least. N was born via emergency c-section 5 weeks prematurely in a state we didn't live in. Her little lungs were fully developed and she was out of the hospital in a miraculous two weeks, weighing a whopping 4 lbs.. (Yay Priesthood!) We weren't trying to get pregnant this time, or last October. I believe things happen for a reason. I believe, as I've said before, that this is all in the Lord's hands and am honored that He's given me the opportunity and trusts me to be able to raise another special spirit. Today's appointment was uneventful and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that. My next appt. brings on the oh-so-yummy glucose test and the BIG ULTRA SOUND!!! Yahoo!!! M gets to be there with me due to his night schedule. So exciting!!!! Yay!!!!

***Side note: This is how much I'm NOT showing yet - the nurse who brought me back had it wrong in the chart about how far along I am (she had 8 weeks) and didn't even question it by looking at me. The last ultrasound a month ago showed the baby growing right on schedule, so I must just hide it well. :) (It's all because of my super abs of steel, baby! Yah!)

1 comment:

blondeviolin said...

It's all because of my super abs of steel, baby! Yah!

LOL Maybe this is why it took FOREVER for Emmett to show too?

I'm grateful you're having an uneventful pregnancy too. :)