"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Saturday, January 31, 2009

This baby is grounded!

My good friend and former "employer" (the lady I used to babysit for) is a nurse at our local hospital and gave me a tour yesterday of Labor & Delivery (which is where she works).

There was something she told me that makes me just a little anxious. Babies that are born before 34 weeks are shipped down to Denver. Without the mother. Not cool. I know he'd be in very good hands down there should he (Heaven forbid) have to go, but I would probably be committed to the 5th floor (psych ward) before my hospital stay was over. So, I am officially grounding this baby to my womb until he's at LEAST 35 weeks. At LEAST!!

So, if you're the praying type, it would be nice if you could send a few my way. N was born at 35 weeks, but my pregnancy wasn't even close to normal. I just don't want to do that again. It's one thing to have the baby in a state where you don't live, but for your baby to be in a state where you're not, would be horrible. So far, everything's been so normal, and I'm so grateful. It still almost worries me, though. Everytime my life seems "normal", some big trial gets thrown at me. I'm going to ask for a blessing Sunday to calm my nerves (which really aren't SO frazzled, just for peace of mind) and to encourage this little one to stay put for a few more weeks.


On a lighter note:
It was nice to be able to see where I need to go (I didn't even know what floor it was on) and get an idea of what'll happen as I've never had a planned c-section before. We got to see the waiting rooms, recovery rooms, nursery, the outside of surgery, and all kinds of other things. My kids got to look through the windows of the nursery and see two tiny little babins. They were so cute and tiny! I'm so excited! I'm a little perturbed that I won't get to hold mine or really see him for about TWO WHOLE HOURS AFTER the surgery, but I know they have their procedures so I'll try to keep my stubborn impatience to myself. (A little history: When I was "coming to" after my c-section with N, I vaguely remember roughly demanding they let me see my baby... M says I was swearing at the nurse... I remember her being not so gentle with me... LOL But, it worked. Hey, I was out of it, I didn't know I had even HAD my baby. I needed proof!)

Also, since M's a little bit of a hospital-phobe and won't be in the operating room with me (unless they want to clean up M and his puke off the floor) C, my friend, offered to be there with me. I thought that was so wonderful! I love this woman! She gave me the name of a pediatrician, which I STILL don't have, even though we've lived here for almost three years and told me everything I'll need to do to prepare. So nice to know these things more than a day in advance!

It was, overall, a very good, very informative visit and I just can't wait!!! (Ok, so maybe I can.)

4 comments:

Druciana said...

Sounds like everything is falling into place. Why would he have to come all the way down here if he were to be born that early? Would he have to go to Children's?

Cortney said...

I will definitely be praying for you. I know how scary it is to think of your baby being shipped somewhere else. When they thought they were gonna have to c-section Riley at 23 weeks they told me they'd have to ship her to Childrens and I freaked, and it was in the same state! I can't imagine going to a whole other state. I'd make them put me on the helicopter too....but hopefully he will stay "grounded" and it won't even be an issue!!

Messy Jess said...

Hang in there baby!!

Mistaken said...

I'm sending good vibes along with my prayers, Jami