"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ode to Being a Mother



I've had a lot of time for thinking, lately, and one of the things that always is on my mind is what kind of mother I am and want to be. I (like many mothers, I'm sure) have felt a lot of guilt over the years for my failings as a mother. The other night, though, as I was praying (pleading, really) to my Heavenly Father for help in areas where I feel I'm lacking, a thought came to me. I know this thought is not from my own inner workings, and am truly grateful for this answer to my prayers. The thought was that I have been blessed with many talents and gifts, all which are needed to, in turn, bless my children. The things that I haven't been given weren't meant for me. I've been given all I need. Sure, there are things I still need to develop, but one thing I've had a hard time with specifically (playing with my kids) has always made me sad. It just doesn't come naturally to me for some reason, and I've wanted it to for so long. But I was told in this thought to focus on the things that I AM good at doing, which are many, and to let the playing role go to my husband, who just happens to be a pro at it. (I've never seen a man do a princess/gun shooting/puppy/patient/Star Wars dude/tickle monster so well in my life!! He rocks!) We balance each other out as parents, and from that night on, I've been focusing more on the things I'm good at vs. the things I'm not good at and I haven't felt so guilty! It's awesome! Anyway, my point of this post is that I'm so proud to be a mother and know that even though I'm not perfect at it, I'm what my kids need. And I have my Heavenly Father to thank for that!

Here's a quote I received today (that I LOVE) and wanted to share:

"I take great delight in my role as a nurturer, which allows me to express my deepest identity as a woman. I never fail to be struck by the way that women, young women, and even little girls seem to have an instinctive interest and ability in nurturing. It is not only a mother's primary responsibility but also part of our 'individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose'. To nurture is to teach, to foster development, to promote growth, to feed, and to nourish. Who would not shout for joy at being given such a blessed role? The scriptures use the word nurture only twice and in both cases speak of the responsibility of parents to raise their children 'in the nurture and admonition of the Lord'."

-Susan W. Tanner

3 comments:

Druciana said...

I just have to tell you that I think this may be the answer to my prayer from this morning. I was asking to be the mother that my kids need.
You are awesome with your kids. Your kids do more crafts than any kids that I know!

blondeviolin said...

I think most daddies play better than mommies. Mommies are just cool naturally, so they have to make up for it. :)

Seriously, though? Do I play with my kids? DEFINITELY. The way my husband does? No way. LOL

Jami said...

I know, I play with my kids, just not down on the floor, pretending to be an animal kind of playing... lol