I think as I get older, the Christmas season goes by faster...
I've been keeping a piece of paper in my pocket for two days, randomly writing down stuff that's said or things I want to share... I didn't want to get on the computer yesterday, so it's been all saved up. :) My kids and husband are out bashing around in the snow (which I'll have pictures of in the next post or two), so I thought I'd take this opportunity to share some of my randomly written down thoughts.
One thing I wanted to make note of, for myself, mostly, was a promise I'm making for next year.
Next year, I vow not to threaten to take away presents. I did that a few times this year and I'm not going to next year for these reasons:
#1 We're never actually going to take them away, which makes it an empty threat, which is just not cool.
#2 Why do we give gifts anyway? Because that's what Christmas symbolizes - a gift given from a parent to His children.
#3 Did H.F. ever threaten to take away His greatest gift to us if we ever screwed up? No. He gave us this gift because he knew we would screw up, because He loves us.
So, next year, instead of threatening to take away presents when my kids act like kids, I'm going to encourage better behavior because that's what H.F. wants us to do and remind them of why we get gifts in the first place and what they symbolize.
2 comments:
good post. I threatened a few times myself. I never thought of it like you did. Thanks
What's sad, though, is I didn't think of it that way until I heard my husband say it - on Christmas Eve. I thought, you can't do that, that's just wrong. Then I realized I said it a few times myself. It was quite a humbling experience, actually.
Post a Comment