"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sweet and Salty

My two year old was showing signs of a skipped nap, today... in that, he was not going to take one.  Two good things came from this: 

1) He actually stayed in his bed until he called me in their to get him with, "It's morning time, Mommy!", even though I know he hadn't slept (a combination of the fact that it had only been 15 minutes since I laid him down and the rather loud rendition of "Twinkle Little Star" sorta gave that away...).

2) I was babysitting a friend's 9 month old during his nappy time, so I went in with the little surprise in my arms to "get him up".  I said, "Guess who's here?" His face just lit right up and he says, "OWEN!!" (the mystery child making my belly fat).  I had to correct him and say, "No, this is Ben."  He knows Ben from church, so it sort of clicked right away.  He ran downstairs because he wanted to hold him.  He handed him many toys, his bottle, his blanky... and kept having to correct himself when he'd call him "Owen".  Needless to say, the child gets that there's a baby coming.  At one point, he must've forgotten because he looked at Ben and then my tummy and said, sort of bewildered, "Who's in your tummy?" Whenever Ben would make a sound, he'd say, "What's a matter, boy?" I was actually glad he missed his nap.  He's so sweet!

After the baby went home, I let Quin have a small amount of water in a cup.  I knew he'd spill (the spoon he grabbed to stir it with was my first clue), so I set him at the table with it, thinking it's just water - let him play.

Note to self:  It's never just water with a two year old.


The water:

Add a little salt: 

And a little more:

Plus some more to that:

All stirred up in the cup:

*sigh*

I must've swept up at least 1/4 cup of salt.  No joke.  That's not including the salt I kept finding as I mopped up the water.  Or the salt on the table.  Or the salt covering my child.  Or the salt he put in our toy car bucket.  Or the salt I had to rinse off a toy truck... and his hands.  He was about to be sad when I found him, but I simply said, "We don't play with the salt."  He replied, "But it's yummy."  That's when I saw the salt on his face. 

Never.  Leave.  A two year old.  Alone. 

Ever.

1 comment:

blondeviolin said...

This is why Dan and I can't use Parmesan cheese at public establishments any more. We've seen what OUR kids try to do with it...who knows what other little kids actually get away with!