I just had a parental realization.
I was sitting here thinking about my children and their personalities and the way they interact with others. My children are perfectly flawed, as any child is. As any of us are, really. But there are certain things they do or views they have that have me fearing I've failed to teach them the correct way*. Then, I took into account that they don't just watch me.... my husband has an influence on them, too. He and I are SO very different in SO many ways, especially when it comes to how we interact with others. I think the way I do it is better. That's not me trying to put him, down. That's just me thinking I like the way I do things better than the way he does things.
So, as I sat here thinking, I thought - dang. They get a lot of their ways of doing things from their father. My killer control-freak instinct jumped right in and freaked out about how I wish so badly I could just change that.
But, I can't.
Then I remembered - I wasn't always a peach when it came to peopling. {Yes, that's my own word.} I was judgy (or so I remember my mom telling me). I was superbly opinionated and so insecure in my own way of seeing things that I felt threatened by the way others thought, should it differ from my own. I was awkward, too, I'm sure. And maybe easily intimidated.
Now, I'm not saying my people skills are so stellar, I have no room for improvement. But, I do know how to handle myself when it comes to social interactions. I've had many jobs in the customer service field - both over the phone and face-to-face. I've had many opportunities to fine-tune my skills. I've had to learn and practice.
My kids are not only going to be influenced by their parents. The world still gets a go at 'em.
I just hope I've instilled enough confidence in them and their abilities that they recognize and choose to soak up the good stuff.
*My way.
No comments:
Post a Comment