"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Friday, January 27, 2012

Yep, it's for real...

As I sit here with a new baby on my lap (no longer IN my lap), my sweet two year old rubbing his head (I've gathered this is his favorite way to love on him), reading my last post - I get hit with a huge dose of emotions (and hormones) as I realize:  this is my new life.

Physically, I feel great.  A little sore, but that's to be expected after surgery.  I'm wearing my old jeans (though my legs are still retaining a lot of water) and looking pretty normal, so I'm told.

Mentally - yeah.  We'll go there in a few days to a week when the rush of hormones dissipates.  I hate the hormone fog - when one can't see anything clearly and the lamest things make me want to cry.  I know it will pass, just hopefully soon.

There were no exciting details to my Owen's birth story - we went in to the hospital at 5am Tuesday morning, got the IV started, wheeled into the operating room, enjoyed the nauseating comfort of a spinal (good times), heard my baby cry (and cry and cry) at 7:41am, started to cry myself, gave the third and final consent to tie up the ol' tubes, then laid in recovery till they wheeled me up to see my baby. 

I'm glad for a boring story.  No problems with the pregnancy or the baby is fine with me.  He had a hard time catching on to the whole eating thing at first, but he's doing well, now.  He was 6 lbs. 14 oz. and birth and 6 lbs. 13 oz. today - not too shabby.  No jaundice.  Cries when he's trying to wake up or when he thinks he's starving.  Has a stork bite and angel kiss birth mark like Natalie did (and still kind of does). 

Life is good.  I feel like a liar saying that just now - only because of the hormones.  (The very hormones that make me miss being pregnant.  haha) These will pass and life will find a new normal here in my home. 

Now I just need to post some pictures...

3 comments:

John and Laura said...

Postpartum hormones. How one can feel so completely irritable and irrational when holding a miraculous bundle of joy is life's great mystery to me. I hate that fog. So proud of you for acknowledging it and remembering that it does pass. Congratulations on your new bundle. Good luck in the next few weeks. <3

Collette said...

I am all to familiar with that feeling! Just keep telling yourself it gets better...nothing lasts forever in the hormone department! Congratulations!

Linda said...

I appreciate you acknowledging the hormonal fog and crazy emotions because I think so many women hold it in and feel like something is wrong with them. I've come to realize that it is a very common thing, regardless of how in love your are with your newborn. I am glad I know that heading into our next baby, because I never saw it coming with Jaden and I really struggled.

Glad to hear everything went well and that there were no problems during the delivery! Look forward to seeing pictures!! :)