Recently, a promise was made by our stake president to a congregation of people at a fireside that if we accepted the invitation to submerge ourselves in the scriptures and follow the same reading schedule the youth were invited to follow in preparation for a very special event coming next year, we would see miracles happen in our lives.
My soul was touched. The Spirit in that meeting was so strong it could be physically felt.
Yet, I was hesitant. My family has been doing scripture reading almost every night for many moons but it's been puny at best. This would require us to read more each night and answer discussion questions following.
Did we want to start over? Again? Were my kids going to sit for longer and actually tolerate a discussion afterward?
I had my doubts.
In fact, for a couple weeks, we didn't even do it. I figured what we were doing was good enough and hey, at least we were doing it, right?
Apparently, it wasn't good enough. One day I got the very strong prompting that we needed to join the masses that were on the reading schedule and just start where everyone else was. I told my husband about it and met my first opposition. I won't go into details but we'll say he wasn't on board. He thought what we were doing was good enough, too.
The next day, though, he announced to the family during our family council (it was a Sunday) that we were going to be doing the scripture reading we were invited to participate in, starting that evening.
And we did. We all had our scriptures and followed along. We took turns reading a number of verses to cover the nightly reading assignment. We then read the corresponding study question to get a discussion started.
The discussions haven't been scholarly by any means. Sometimes it's all we can do to get a single syllable answer out of even one person. But we're doing it.
And today, I saw my first miracle.
My kids are all home on Fall break this week. I always come up with a "If you want to kill your brain cells with electronics, you're going to exercise your mind and body, first" list.
Part of my list, this time, was taking the dog for a walk around the block.
The miracle is my oldest son went. Even though one of his shoes was still wet from having to be cleaned off due to a doggie doo incident. Even though he's fought me on this in the past. He went with a smile on his face and returned with a smile on his face.
All of my kids did all the things on the list without me nagging them to do it. They did it with smiles on their faces. They did it without fighting me.
I don't know if tomorrow will be the same but I'll take today. I'll take this miracle.
p.s. I've started a 10 day social media fast, today. For the record, I did not need to go on any other site to share this post. Just so we're clear. ;)
1 comment:
This is great! You give me hope for my own family.
Post a Comment