When we lived in Billings, MT, we had a house we were trying to sell in Gillette, WY.
Shortly after we moved, there was a big storm that caused a lot of damage to trees. We had, I think, eight trees on our property which meant our yard was covered in broken branches and leaves. Literally covered. No one was living there so we had to drive the three hours to go clean up the yard to keep it in selling condition.
Enter: The Tyners. Some of the best people you'll ever meet. They opted to drive down with us to help us with the clean-up. I was amazed at their willingness to serve us, people they only barely knew.
During our time in Billings, we were blessed by the Tyners many times as well as many others in the ward. It was the greatest ward I've ever lived in. We were family. People loved one another and were always ready and willing to step up and help.
I've been thinking about this post for a while. It might be seen as offensive. Or, maybe a wake-up call. I don't know. But I've never been one to keep my opinion to myself.
I'm now in a position of somewhat leadership in my current ward and, though it's been a short time, I've been made aware of a very sad fact:
People say no.
I was living under the naive impression that people were generally willing to do their part; people were ready to step outside of their comfort zones and cowboy-up. I thought people were generally willing to be there for each other. I thought people might hesitate at the thought of something they've never done or something that might seem hard but for the most part, would allow themselves to be stretched by the task that was asked of them and go forth as the Lord would have us do.
But... they're not.
I'm saddened by this.
The Lord says serve, so we serve. At least, that's how it's supposed to be.
But it's not. It's like pulling dang teeth.
It's frustrating. It's disheartening.
So what if something's hard or might be inconvenient? So what if it's something you've never done before? So what if you're busy? So dang what if it's scary?
I mean, my goodness. Get with it, people. Stop saying no. Start doing what the Lord wants you to do and even sometimes calls you to do. Those in authority in the church might not know your situation but the Lord does. And I can tell you, a lot of prayer goes into the issuing of callings. I know this. The Lord is very much a part of who is asked to help. He knows it's going to be uncomfortable or hard or inconvenient. But that's why we're here, isn't it? To grow? No one ever got stronger by lifting feathers. My dad said, "If you're comfortable, you're not growing."
It makes it so hard for those who are trying to run things smoothly when they have to pick up the slack of those not willing to help out. It doesn't have to be a calling, it could be as simple as saying the prayer when asked.
I know there are instances when a "no" is necessary. I know there are times when one physically cannot help. I get that.
But can if you can, you should. If you can but it's scary, you should. If you can but it seems hard, you should. If you can but it's outside of your comfort zone or new to you, you should. If you can but it would be inconvenient, you should.
This isn't just coming from me. This is what the Lord said. That's what He did. That's why we're here. The church recently embarked on a new Ministering program. How can we truly minister to one another if we're not willing to say yes? The church can't run without its members.
We all need to do our dang part. We all need to step it up and help when it's needed.
We need to stop saying no.
There. I said my piece.
4 comments:
Sometimes people can’t. Whenever my counselors would get frustrated about people turning down callings, I would always say, “We don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors. We just don’t know what their journey is.” I know it’s frustrating, but our job wasn’t to judge those who would not accept. We did our job by sincerely praying and following what we felt the Lord guided us to do. Just because He guided us to extend a person’s name for a calling, doesn’t mean his intention was for them to accept it. Maybe his intention was for us to learn something from the process. There are innumerable reasons why He could have had us extend that calling. It’s not our place to know. If it was, we would already be Gods.
Those are my personal thoughts and the guidance I gave to those I worked with when I held that mantle. Once a person turned down a calling, I let it go. There was no value in ruminating over a specific person that I thought should have accepted. I felt it just wasn’t my place to say what someone else should do. That’s something that can also apply to ourselves. Using the word “should” is shaming and we mostly do it to ourselves. Pay attention for one day to how many times you say to yourself that you “should” do something, whether it’s outloud or in your head. When you notice it, ask yourself how it makes you feel.
I know this was all totally unsolicited, but I know you well enough to know you would want me to share it with you. These are the truths I have learned for myself and I share them in love so you can find out if they are true for you.
Thank you Peggy for knowing me well enough. :) I agree and was actually typing some similar thoughts on Facebook right before I read this. I realized when I posted this it would likely ruffle some feathers. Sometimes they need to be ruffled. I wasn't thinking of anyone specifically when I wrote this. I certainly didn't want to come off as judgy. Sometimes I forget it's ok to keep my mouth shut. Ha
I don’t think you need to keep your mouth shut. There’s nothing wrong with being real about your thoughts or feelings. Without being brave and sharing, you would keep many people from the opportunity of seeing different points of view. There were many people that agreed with the things you said and you expressed something that they themselves have felt at times. I know this point of view is a very common one. I’ve even felt it before. You opening up the topic allowed be to express what I’ve learned and the way my thinking has changed and maybe that can help someone else. When it comes to you Jami, I always know your intentions are pure. I know you genuinely care about people. I feel all those things about you. The fact is, there’s not always a right or wrong, just a different perspective. And for the record, there have been many times that I’ve felt a pretty strong position on something and then later changed my view due to someone pointing out something I couldn’t see before.
I love you, Peggy. You're so real and I love that you get me. I love your view on things and your wisdom. I, too, have learned many things from others when I thought I was set in my ways. On another note, I love reading your blog. It flows. There are things I read sometimes that my brain just halts, you know? Like a dog refusing to walk because it just can't even. haha I don't feel that way when I read your writing... it's fluid and slippery, my brain just rides the stream of words as they flow. lol {I'm so poetic. ha!}
Post a Comment