I read my last post and I actually have to really think to remember the stress we felt so much of, when we first moved, here. I know it was hard, because that's what I keep telling people; but I don't feel it, anymore.
That's a sweet feeling; not just the lack of stress, but tranquility.
Fall had me feeling a little blue before the feeling of ok-ness set in. Trees were still green, as was grass, and it was still quite "warm" for October. I missed the cool, crisp air. I missed the first few flurries of snow, the smell of homes being warmed by a fireplace, wearing socks and sweats and cozying up in a blanket. I thought, for sure, this was going to be a sad time of year because it was just so... different.
I decided to go into Christmas, full force, right before Thanksgiving. Music, movies, decorations... baking, even.
I started out, strong.
I lost the gusto, pretty quick.
It took me a few days to get the decorations up, and this was a few days after I usually do it. They're still not all up. I have a strand of lights on a tree in my front yard that has yet to be connected to an outlet. I felt like I was failing this Christmas thing.
But then, something changed. Not the lights or the decorations or the frequency of movies.
I think it was my perspective.
We were at our church Christmas party and I inquired about the possible appearance of a notable red-wearing fat guy. I was told he usually skips this event.
At first, I was slightly upset, by this. How were my kids supposed to sit on his lap, now?
But then the program started. There were others who made an appearance, instead.
Angels. Shepherds. Wise men. A man. A woman.
One by one, they built the story of that glorious night.
No fancy lights were used. No brightly colored decorations. Just a simple stable, a manger, and the story - the reason we celebrate Christmas. It was perfect.
I've seen so much giving since we moved, here. I've witnessed a community coming together to help a family in dire need. I've been the recipient of such sweet blessings by those who barely knew me.
I've been blessed with small miracles in my life, helping me know, still, that I am loved by my Heavenly Father.
Christmas is everywhere. It's in the family we take with us when we move away from all we know. It's in the hearts of those around us. It's in the homes of friends who so graciously welcome us in.
It doesn't need snow. It doesn't need socks or blankets or chimney smoke. It's there, just the same.
I'm so grateful I still have it. I'm so grateful for a Savior who was born so we might live. I'm thankful to a Father who gave His only Begotten Son, who sent Him to this earth to teach us how to give; how to love; how to live.
And I'm so thankful to finally "get" it - that special Christmas-y feeling that is unmatched by anything I keep stored in plastic totes, every year.
Merry Christmas
1 comment:
I am glad you enjoyed your ward party and felt the spirit of Christmas. Sounds like the move to Arizona has been a challenging one, but I hope it gets better and better.
P.S. I thought I would let you know that I finally blogged! :)
Post a Comment