Do you ever have those moments where time sort of slows and you catch a glimpse of the past because of the present?
I had one of those moments.
Strangely, it was just because I attended my six year old's field day, at school.
I saw him, participating in the games. I saw my daughter, who is now 12, helping with the games. I was reminded of the times I've watched her being on the participating end.
Then I saw myself.
I remember so clearly those days - the ones that marked the ending of the school year. I remember the ribbons (that I still have) that were awarded (because, once upon a time, there was such thing as competition). I remember the racing and the climbing and the everything that was exciting about those days. I loved those days.
It wasn't an overly profound moment, but it was one that just stopped me for a minute. I've been thinking about it, ever since, too. So, even in its simplicity, it encompassed so many thoughts and feelings and memories that it made itself big.
Ah, growing up. I love the moments when I can tell my kids, "That just means you're growing up on the inside.".
I think I did a little of that, the other day. I used to be afraid of growing older. I dreaded it, even.
But, now? Not so much. I find myself embracing it. Not necessarily the wrinkles appearing around my eyes, but the memories and hopefully wisdom that comes with those wrinkles.
I love seeing my people, my little family, growing up on the inside, and yes, the outside. It truly is awesome, in the truest sense of the word, to see these human beings morph into people.
And knowing I have something to do with that is pretty cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment