"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Blessings in disguise

I took my kids to Walmart, the other day.  All four of them.  And we opt to drive 20+ minutes to the one on the WAY other side of town instead of the one that's five minutes from our house because, somehow, it's a much better atmosphere and less stressful/chaotic.

Anywho, it was grocery day.  I hate grocery day.  We left at 1:30pm and didn't get home till 4pm.

To say it was an enjoyable experience would be a complete and utter lie.

But something happened while we were there that had me realizing how blessed I was.

Here I had four kids - three were somehow crammed into the front of the buggy (it was one of those supermom buggies that are longer than a freight train but somehow supposed to be more convenient) and the fourth was "driving" the semi (seriously what they were calling it - they're really that long).

I was juggling around a lady who needed something in the same spot I did, and I offered to trade buggies with her.  I think she thought I was joking, because she was giggling at the hilarity (insanity) of my current situation.

Then she said she'd already done that.

Then she said, slightly choking up on her words, that her 9 year old and 15 year old died in the same car accident.

Talk about being stopped right in my tracks.

I didn't consider the fact that we didn't know each other when I hugged her.

We were both crying.

She said thank you.*  She followed up, though, with the happy news of the birth of her granddaughter.

Then we parted ways.  I'm glad my kids were able to witness that - that we can show God's love for His children, even if we don't know them.  That we can help carry each others burdens, no matter where we are.

*I was kinda hoping that since she said thank you, she was accepting my offer.  No dice.  Oh, well.  She helped me see through my trial, I was actually being blessed.

No comments: