"Funny how life keeps going and we keep surviving what we feel is surely going to be the end of us." ~Me

Monday, April 13, 2009

Me Thinks Me Babin Has Colic

Ugh.

When I was pregnant with my first child, I was given a copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting". I hated it. I thought it told horror stories and I didn't want to hear horror stories.

Now, here I am with my 3rd child, thinking I know EVERYTHING (that's what I thought when I was still pregnant - HA) and that we'll get into a great routine, I'll feel great, life will be so great.

Quin hit his two week mark last Thursday - wow, two weeks. Can't believe it!

Anywho - that's when the fun started. By fun I mean crying non-stop every night and fussy fussy fussy all day long unless he's asleep or eating. I find myself at the library Saturday checking out "What to Expect the First Year". We're not even out of the library parking lot and I'm delving into the goodness of information that I so have forgotten. (More like pushed out of my mind - we were DONE, remember??) (And for the grandparents reading this - this is the LAST grandbaby you're gettin' outta me. Sorry. Actually, I'm not sorry.) (And Karen, remember how we were joking that my pregnancy was "boring"? This is why.)

Colic. No one really knows what it is or what causes it and parents don't rightly care - they just want it to GO AWAY. According to my new best friend (the book), "the baby with a textbook case of colic pulls his knees up, clenches his fists,... closes his eyes tightly or opens them wide (mine scrunches one eye, it's actually really cute), furrows his brow, even holds his breath briefly." Enter: my son, my textbook case of colic. The book even says it usually starts around two weeks of age. If I'd have known this about my first son, which I figured I did, I would've done something about it then. Instead, he cried from 5-9pm EVERY night for about 6 weeks or so of his life. Yeah. Not fun. I'm NOT about to go through that again, especially since this pregnancy has left me dealing with the mother-load of hormones. SO, my husband, wonderful man that he is, has a friend at work who's son went through horrendous crying spells for the first couple months of his life. Then they found this product that they now swear by - they say they have a happy baby and he's sleeping through the night. As soon as my kids get home from school, we're heading off to Walgreens to get some of this magic potion. I really, really, really hope this is an answer to my prayers of desperation and out-right begging. (I tell myself H.F. knows exactly what I'm going through and forgives me for such prayers.) I've read the colic section of my book friend three times now and could tell you all about it. Well, I could tell you what I know, which is AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

In case you're wondering what an actual magic potion looks like:

5 comments:

Druciana said...

Well, I hope for your sake and your baby's sake, that it works quickly!

blondeviolin said...

I hear gripe water can work. Also, does he spit up? I'd look into reflux as well. Are you swaddling him? Sometimes Emmett looked like he hated it, but if you bounced and moved, he'd settle right down.

The big books that people rave about right now are Happiest Baby on the Block and Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child.

At this age with my two, I just nurse, nurse, nurse a whole lot and deal with it. Whatever works to keep baby happy. LOL

Does Quin take a pacifier?

Megan said...

I've heard Gripe Water is good stuff.

Also try firmly rubbing his tummy clockwise. I swear if there were Gripe Water 10 years ago, we wouldn't have had to attach a nipple to simethicone/Mylicon. (Kidding, of course!)

I hear ya, I feel ya, I wouldn't want to be ya.

Remember the best packages come in small packages.

Cortney said...

I've heard that the gripe water works wonders!! Luckily my first 2 didn't have colic. Alexandra just refused to sleep. She would sit and stare at you for hours upon hours, and you couldn't put her down or she would cry...so annoying at 2 in the morning. Hopefully the "magic potion" works for you though!!!! I know how horrible it is with raging hormones and no sleep (not a good combination at all!)

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

What is perfect about you not nursing is that there are so many other options for you out there. You can switch formulas and see if that works, there is special formula for reflux, there is gripe water and such...

Good Luck and let me know if it works! I hope it does for your sake. I will be thinking about you!